Planning a trip to Amsterdam and want to make the most of your visit? Then the hop-on hop-off tour is the perfect way to experience the beauty of this city.
This might also interest you
Here you can find out what options are available, how it works and what are the pros and cons of hop on hop off in Amsterdam.
Too long to read?
In a few lines all about the Amsterdam Hop on Hop off:
- Hop on Hop Off is a system where you are 100% flexible about the route of your tour. You can get off at the stops (Hop Off), stay as long as you want, and get back on as part of your tour (Hop On).
- In Amsterdam you have two options for hop-on hop-off tours: 1. bus 2. canal cruise.
- Both options take you on a tourist route to the most famous sights, neighborhoods and famous attractions of the city.
- Your ticket is valid for 1 or 2 consecutive days.
- The Hop on Hop Off in Amsterdam is ideal for visitors with children or people with mobility impairments.
table of contentToggle
Amsterdam Hop on Hop off Tickets
Hop-on hop-off ticket prices in Amsterdam depend on how long your ticket isvalid for and which mode of transportation you choose (bus, canal ride, or both).
Bus + Boat
Bus + Boat
Bus + Canal Cruise
How to buy Hop on Hop off tickets?
So you want to buy tickets for the City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off tour in Amsterdam? No problem, it’s really easy. Here’s how you do it:
- Book online: When you buy online here, you can choose to book now and pay later, or buy now with free cancellation up to 24 hours prior to launch.
- Select ticket type: You will be asked what type of ticket you want. Here you can usually choose between bus ticket, boat ticket, combination ticket, 24-hour or 48-hour tickets. Choose the option that best fits your plan.
- Number of tickets: Indicate how many tickets you need. If you’re buying for friends or family, make sure you choose the right number. Children up to 3 years ride free of charge.
- Confirmation: After the payment is completed, you will receive a confirmation email with your tickets attached. You can print them out or save them digitally on your smartphone.
- Redeem: On the day of your tour, go to the hop on hop off bus stop and show your tickets (digital or printed) to the staff. You will then receive your boarding pass.
That’s it! You are ready to explore Amsterdam. This City Sightseeing Tour is a great way to see the city.
Can I buy a hop on hop off ticket on site?
Yes, in the center of city and at some Amsterdam famous attractions you can see staff in red vests offering hop on hop off tickets. However, I do not recommend it. Not only do you often have to listen to 20 minutes of chatter from vendors who want to offer you numerous other tickets to the city besides the bus ticket, but you can’t be 100% sure where the ticket is coming from. Buy online, guarantees flexibility, free cancellation, and arrives in Amsterdam equipped with everything.
If you decide spontaneously for the Hop on Hop off in Amsterdam, buy it online and you will surely receive your ticket immediately by e-mail.
Our Hop on Hop off Experience in Amsterdam
Amsterdam was not the first time I used the hop-on hop-off tour. I have already tested Hop On Hop Off in Miami, New York, London, Rome, Madrid, and Paris.
In Amsterdam, I found the hop-on hop-off route to be short, about 60 minutes (compared to other cities about 90 minutes), as the city center is relatively small. There are pros and cons to this city tour. On the one hand, you can use the Hop on Hop Off as a sightseeing tour. The view from the second floor, the sightseeing route, the audio explanations, and the experience make this tour an ideal option for your first visit to Amsterdam. The planned sightseeing route will give you the perfect welcome for your trip.
However, Amsterdam is not a car-friendly city, and what I realized was that I could often walk around the city, see every sight, and not waste time in the traffic of the Dutch capital.
So if you want to use the hop on hop off as a means of transport you should choose the public transport in Amsterdam.
If you are traveling with children or people with reduced mobility If you are traveling and want to use the Hop on Hop off as a showcase of Amsterdam and explore the sights of the city without having to worry about the route, the roads, and the traffic, then this City Sightseeing Amsterdam Tour is ideal for your trip.
Options for Hop on Hop off Tours in Amsterdam
The range of Amsterdam City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off tours are relatively manageable. As in most European cities, the popular red double-decker buses crisscross the city. But Amsterdam, as you know, consists not only of streets but of many, many canals. The city only really comes into its own via the waterway. That’s why a canal cruise, especially on your first visit, should be at the top of your list of things to experience in Amsterdam.
As you will see in a moment, you have four options:
- Either you book a classic tour by bus (the most popular option).
- You choose a flexible boat tour (unique to Amsterdam).
- Or you can book both together (the best way to discover the city).
- Finally, you can opt for the bus tour + a classic 1-hour canal cruise (in this case, the boat without the hop on hop off feature).
Amsterdam Hop on Hop off BustourHop on Hop off in AmsterdamAdd to myTravel added
A Hop-On Hop-Off Tour is a flexible way to explore a new city. In Amsterdam, you can do this on land or on water. The Hop-On Hop-Off Tour can take a bus or a boat along the canals. The operation is the same with both forms of transport: You get on, sit back, relax, and enjoy the ride. You can get off in front of the chosen tourist attraction to explore. You can hop on and off as many times as you like, and you are flexible in choosing how much time to spend in a museum or in a part of the city, for example.Regarding Amsterdam, I can say that both Hop-On Hop-Off tours (bus and boat) are great tour ideas. So, sit back and take in the sights of the city. As always, the Hop-On Hop-Off Tour routes are specially designed to facilitate sightseeing. Both Hop-On Hop-Off Tour routes by bus or boat pass close to the city’s main attractions. They’re an easy, convenient, and relaxing way to explore Amsterdam.If you want to choose only the Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour, you can include a traditional Amsterdam Canal Tour, but in this case, the tour lasts one hour and has no stops.
Amsterdam Hop on Hop off CruiseCruise in AmsterdamAdd to myTravel added
Unlike the famous Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, you can choose the HHop-On Hop-Off Boat Tour in Amsterdam. Of course, most of Amsterdam’s attractions are around the canals, so one of the most beautiful ways to explore the city is by water.
So, try out the Hop-On Hop-Off Boat Tour in Amsterdam and visit the city’s most popular attractions, museums, and neighborhoods.
You can purchase a one- or two-day ticket to enjoy the amenities.
Amsterdam Hop on Hop off Bus and CruiseCombi Tour in AmsterdamAdd to myTravel added
How about booking a bus and boat tour in Amsterdam now? The Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour is already a classic of the world’s great big cities. Here in Amsterdam, however, you can take a Hop on Hop off boat as well. Hop on and off the boat and stay at your tourist attraction in Amsterdam as often as you like.
If you just want to hop on the boat and relax, you also have that option here. You can choose the Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour and a classic boat cruise on the canals of Amsterdam. This cruise does not have a Hop-On Hop-Off function; it lasts about 90 minutes and takes you to the city’s most beautiful sights.
Advantages and disadvantages of Amsterdam Hop on Hop off
- Ultimate flexibility: With the City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off system, you can customize your itinerary. You decide when and where you want to get off to visit sights, museums or cafes.
- No time pressure: tickets are valid for one or two days. You can get on and off as many times as you like in as many places as you like during the period.
- No complex city map: You don’t need to study a complex city map. The route of the buses is always the same and passes all major Amsterdam famous attractions, whether Van Gogh Museum, Reichsmuseum, Anne Frank House or Heineken Experience.
- Informative comments: During the ride, you will receive interesting comments and stories about the places you pass. This is a great way to learn more about Amsterdam’s rich history and culture.
- Don’t stress about traffic: Amsterdam can be quite hectic at rush hour. With the City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off tour, you can avoid public transportation and traffic stress and enjoy your trip to the fullest.
- Great view from the roof: Most hop-on hop-off buses in Amsterdam have open roofs that give you a great view of the city. This is perfect for photos and to admire the beauty of the canals and historic buildings.
- Free Wi-Fi: Many of the buses offer free Wi-Fi, so you can instantly share your experiences with your friends and family.
- Save money: If you buy the Amsterdam Card, you’ll often get discounts on hop-on hop-off service and admission to many attractions.
- Cost factor: Hop-on hop-off tours are often more expensive than public transportation. If you’re traveling on a budget, this could put a strain on your travel funds.
- Overcrowded buses: Especially in high season, buses can be overcrowded, which can hinder your comfort and visibility.
- Limited interaction: since you’re on the bus, you’ll have less contact with the locals or other travelers. However, an important part of traveling is interacting with people and discovering local insider tips.
- Artificial Experience: Hop-on hop-off tours often offer a standardized, touristy view of the city. You may be missing out on the authentic, lesser-known aspects of Amsterdam.
The route Amsterdam Hop on Hop off tours by bus
So you can’t go wrong with an Amsterdam hop-on hop-off bus ride. These legendary red double-decker buses are also ubiquitous and super popular in Amsterdam. There are good reasons for this: Unlike other city tours, you are not dictated where you get off and how long you can stay there. The buses stop either directly in front of important Amsterdam sights or they are placed in such a way that there are many within walking distance. A brilliantly simple concept that you should definitely use on your first Amsterdam trip.
The red double-decker buses stop here:
- Amsterdam Centraal
- Passenger Terminal Amsterdam
- Gassan Diamonds BV
- Jewish Historical Museum
- Royal Theater Carré
- Heineken Experience
- Museum district (Van Gogh Musem, Reichsmuseum etc.)
Other Attractions that will be visited on this route:
- Dam Square
- Leiden Square (Leidseplein)
- Waterlooplein Market
- Anne Frank House
- Jordaan Quarter
- Red Light District
- NEMO Science Museum
- Het Scheepvaartmuseum
- Nine streets
- Rembrandt House
- Tropical Museum
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam
- Albert Cuyp Market
- The Amsterdam Dungeon
- Diamond Museum Amsterdam
- Xtracold Icebar Amsterdam
The route Amsterdam Hop on Hop off tours by boat
As I said, Amsterdam is just particularly beautiful to look at from the water. Either way, you must take a tour of the canals at least once – whether it’s a several-hour tour with a clearly defined route or a hop-on hop-off tour. Meandering through the city via the waterway is something very special and should not be missing on any Amsterdam trip!
Among other things, you can pass it by boat and get off (and back on):
- Central Station
- A’dam Lookout
- Anne Frank Museum
- Xtracold Icebar Amsterdam
- Body Worlds
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Amsterdam .
- Heineken Experience
- Imperial Museum & Van Gogh Museum
- Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam
- Moco Museum
- Madame Tussauds Amsterdam
The most frequently asked questions about Hop on Hop off in Amsterdam
How does the hop-on hop-off system work in Amsterdam?
The hop-on-hop-off system in Amsterdam offers a convenient way to explore the city. You can get on an open bus at certain stops and get off at any stops. These buses run regularly, and your ticket will allow you to get off at various points of interest, explore them, and then catch the next bus.
Where can I find the stops for the hop-on hop-off buses in Amsterdam?
The stops for the City Sightseeing Hop on Hop Off Buses in Amsterdam are located in strategic places in the city center. You can easily find them at tourist hotspots like the Central Station, Dam Square and the Museum District. You can see the exact locations on a map or at the tourist information center.
How do I buy tickets for hop on hop off Bus tour in Amsterdam?
Tickets for hop on hop off bus Tour in Amsterdam can be purchased online. You can also buy them at most stops or at the tourist information center. There are several ticket options, including 24-hour passes or combination tickets for attractions.
Can I listen to audio commentary during the Hop-on Hop-off tour in Amsterdam?
Yes, most hop on hop off tours in Amsterdam offer audio commentary in several languages, including German. These commentaries provide interesting information about the sights you pass and teach you more about the history and culture of the city.
How long is a typical hop-on hop-off tour in Amsterdam?
A typical hop on hop off Bus tour in Amsterdam takes about 1 to 1.5 hours for a complete loop, not including exits. However, since you can get off at the stops and spend as much time as you want at the sights, you can arrange your tour according to your own schedule. The ticket is often valid for 24 or 48 hours, so you can explore the city at your own pace.
This might also interest you
Das Reisen ist meine große Leidenschaft. Ich liebe es, die Wanderwege in Rio de Janeiro zu erkunden, die besten Strände in Miami zu entdecken, die ältesten Museen in Rom zu besuchen und noch die besten Gerichte in Paris zu verkosten.